Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Eternally guided

I was first introduced to Rumi's poem "The Guest House" from a reading by Lilias Folan at a Yoga conference a few years ago.  It was so comforting and so applied to what I had learnt about myself over the years.

I have, in past, suffered from pretty severe depression (I was actually stuck there for years).  One day during this time of suffering a girlfriend said to me, "It's the best thing that could happen!  Depression is such a blessing!"

I thought she was nuts - dropped off the deep end... riding the short bus... loosing her shit.....

I wondered, "How the hell can depression be a blessing?"  It took me a few years, but I finally got it - without knowing or understanding true pain can we truly appreciate what the other side feels like. 

She was so right - you can not have up without down, right without left, incorrect and truth... it's relative.  For us to really appreciate living an abundant life we need to live it's flipside.

I've also learned that happiness takes work.  

This knowing took me so many years to understand. 

I think that's why "The Guest House" made such an impression on me like no other. 

May it do the same for you,
Namaste,
Tammy


THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~Rumi

My wish for you is eternal guidance

No comments: