Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Attitude change

Recently I received a letter for a questionnaire to fill out from the Ministry of the Attorney General asking me to be a prospective juror.

I'll admit, I wasn't happy about it. Mostly because I am a an entrepeneur and self-employed business owner.

Fear was my inital response.

I didn't want to take time off work; even for a civil duty.

Chances of me actually being chosen are probably slim, but there is still a chance.

Then something interesting happened....I spoke with one of my students who is a Judge here in town.

She said, "What an honour! Congratulations!"

I looked at her dumb-founded.

She continued, "Many people tell me it is a life altering experience. They learn so much about themselves and the system."

"But its such a huge responsibility!"

"Tell me about it," she replied. "Just realize you are a huge part of the person's journey. And just maybe you will have made a difference."

After speaking with her, in less than 5 minutes, my entire attitude changed about being a member of a jury.

Shift your perspective. Change your life!

No comments: