Monday, January 26, 2009

All about attitude

I was reminded of something recently....

And I wanted to let you know about it.

Last Spring I attended the Toronto yoga show and was lucky enough to take a class with Lilas Folan (you may remember her from her classes on PBS teaching Yoga back in the early 70's; she was the woman with the very long braid of hair).

Before she began teaching the class while we were in corpse pose (savasana), a relaxed and meditative state, she read the following poem by Rumi:

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ Rumi ~


It truly is a fantastic! Rumi's words combine every success principle I've ever been
taught and wrapped it all up into one succinct thought pattern.

And the best part is it takes less than a minute to read it.

Yep! Less than 1 minute!

The truth is, I constantly find myself applying the simple (yet extremely powerful) "Guest House" principles in my life now and I feel like there is no problem or situation I can't conquer.

Think about it; with all of the negative information out there don't you find it refreshing to think you are being prepared for some "new delight"?

The only thing you need to achieve more joy and happiness is to read the poem and as you go about your day continue with an open mind. Open enough to take a chance on yourself and realize the universe is 'out to do you good'.

The other thing Lilas said in class was, "Welcome all that comes to you this day. And feel welcomed by it."

I think this will be my latest mantra!

No comments: